System Update froze - UbuntuMATE 16-04

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 21 22:48:23 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 01:26:50AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 22/06/2018, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 21 June 2018 at 16:46, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> So, this "feature" that was apparently included in 16.04.2, in all of
> >> the circumstances, probably, instead of changing Ubuntu 16.04 to the
> >> status of Debian sid, appears to have turned Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04,
> >> into the nature of Debian experimental, with all data at risk.
> >
> > It is the disc causing the update to hang, not the update causing the
> > disc problem.
>
> So, this is now a dead parrott scenario?
>
> With the bug having been identified, and the effects conforming to the
> specified effects of the bug, as experienced by other people, you now
> claim the confirmed bug to be imaginary?

I've said this before in different words, but let me say it again.

The evidence is that there are two problems at work here.

 1) Your hardware is apparently failing.

 2) Ubuntu is not as robust against this particular kind of failure
    during upgrade as it ought to be.

Pointing out that the first of these problems is the most important one
here does not deny the existence of the second.

You're spinning this into hyperbolic scenarios:

 * You suggest that it is a new antifeature of some kind introduced in
   16.04.2: you have next to no evidence of that, and really your
   problems seem highly unlikely to have anything to do with any
   particular version of Ubuntu given that you've posted kernel logs
   indicating hardware errors, which should pretty much always be the
   first port of call when diagnosing a problem.  Get your hardware into
   a stable state before worrying about anything else.  (For what it's
   worth, the "sync" in update-initramfs was introduced before 16.04(.0)
   was released, in response to Debian bug #783620.)

 * You're accusing other people of claiming that there is no bug in
   initramfs-tools, when all they've done is correctly identified the
   chain of events as a hardware error without which you wouldn't have
   run into update-initramfs's somewhat overly-aggressive "sync" call in
   the first place (note that this does *not* mean that it isn't a bug;
   it just substantially changes its importance in a root-cause
   analysis).

Please slow down, read more carefully, stop attributing malice where
none exists, and don't panic.