System Update froze - UbuntuMATE 16-04

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:13:09 UTC 2018

On 22/06/2018, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 22.06.2018, 01:37 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:
>>
>> Simply unplugging a mounted USB device, destroys it, from
>> experiential memory.
>
> if you use a modern journaling filesystem on it unplugging wont destroy
> more data than the broken hardware already does already, just unplug
> it, really, this drive is broken.
>
> the symptoms you describe simply show this, there isnt much you can
> actually do but unplug it. the system will eventually likely just eat
> itself anyway if you keep it plugged. rip it out, let the initramfs
> update finish (which should work then) and get a new usb drive.
>
> ciao
> 	oli

With PCman file manager, with the HP external HDD showing in the left
panel/window/column, if I right click on it, I have an option to
unmount it.

Now, the thing is this; immediately above the entry "hp hard drive" is
"HP Launcher", so, if I unmount the external HDD, what happens
regarding its launcher? Can it be properly unmounted (the HDD), with
the launcher entry in that panel/subwindow/column?

I expect that, from what has been said, about the HP HDD claimed to be
causing the initramfs bug to stop the upgrade, then, if the HP HDD is
unmounted (providing the operation is successful), it would be
expected that the system update, if restarted, should be able to
successfully complete.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale