System Update froze - UbuntuMATE 16-04

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:37:50 UTC 2018


On 21/06/2018, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/06/2018, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20 June 2018 at 19:35, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ...
>>> It confirms that it is a bug, and not (hopefully) that I have caused
>>> harm to the system.
>>>
>>> At present, I have one window of Netsurf, running a gmail connection,
>>> the System Monitor, three terminal windows, and two windows of caja -
>>> the file manager (which has crashed in the last few hours), running on
>>> that computer.. I am not game to kill caja, due to the risk of loss of
>>> data, and, as it may (fingers crossed) come right.
>>
>> It may not be the same bug in that case. However it is interesting
>> that the file manager appears to have crashed. Though the fact that
>> you say you don't want to kill it suggests that it has not crashed but
>> is also hung, possibly for the same reason.  What happens if you run,
>> in a terminal, the command
>>
>> sync
>>
>
> After about fifteen minutes, no displayed response - cursor goes onto
> next line after the line in which the command is entered, an the
> cursor sits there flashing at me, in an otherwise blank line.
>
> So, the command "sync" also appears to have been hanged (and, yes, I
> do know the difference between hanged and hung :) ).
>

And I can not stop it doing whatever it is doing, or being done by
whatever is being done to it, by applying <CTRL><C>

> Oh, and, as I run it in the three step command procedure when I run
> alpine, df -h has now also stopped working.
>
>> If that does not complete then it is the same bug and something is
>> hanging onto one of the drives for some reason.  The first thing I
>> would do is close everything else down and kill caja. Why do you think
>> that might cause loss of data?  If you are worried that it was in the
>> middle of a move or something then copy that file or files off to USB
>> stick or something first using terminal commands.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>
> It surprises me that this bug original report is apparently 16 months
> old, and, apparently a critical bug, and, since then, two "point
> releases" and a new version (18.04) have been released, with this
> critical bug not being fixed, with the bug appearing to take 16.04
> from being a "stasle" release, to a status equivalent to Debian sid,
> with all that that name involves.
>
> I am now concerned that the bug may also apply to 18.04, as the bug
> has apparently not been fixed.
>
> I have now closed all tasks in the taskbar, on that computer, except
> three terminal windows with root login sessions (as much as they are
> root logins, in Ubuntu, which does not have separate root login
> passwords), and, a single caja window which displayed (before it went
> blank) the home <me> directory. Another caja window had closed after
> about twelve hours, so, I thought I would give this one a day, to find
> whether it would also close.
>
> Oh, and, when the caja windows stopped working, at the same time, or,
> later, the system monitor applet in the taskbar, disappeared from
> being displayed, altghough, the system monitor window, which can be
> opened by clicking on the display of that applet (when the applet
> output is being displayed), was still being displayed, and, appeared
> functional, until I closed it, in closing the open tasks as
> recommended above.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..............
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>  written by Douglas Adams,
>  published by Pan Books, 1992
>
> ....................................................
>


-- 

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

....................................................



More information about the ubuntu-users mailing list