dual-boot time issue

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jun 12 12:39:52 UTC 2018

At Tue, 12 Jun 2018 11:45:54 +0000 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It seems I'm bothered by an old issue again, though googling tells me, I am not the only person effected....
>
> The general issue arrises when dual-booting:
> Ubuntu_18.04 uses UTC, derived from NTP
> Windows uses Local Time, derived from hwclock.
>
> Normally the two can co-exists together, except, when stopping Ubuntu, System-D writes its time back to the hwclock.
> No big deal for Ubuntu (as it will use ntp), but a source of irritation under Windows.
>
> I do know several suggestions, like:
>
> a)      Make Windows10 use UTC instead of local time.
> This would solve everything once and for all FOR ME, but not achievable for others.

This is the *ideal*, network friendly, solution, esp. if Windows10 would also
use ntp.  But M$ is not going to do the "proper" thing...

There is the option of doing away with "dual booting", and instead use VMs.
This way you only have one O/S touching the bare metal (the host O/S) and no
conflicts over what to do with the bare metal. This way everybody do their
normal thing with no problems...

> b)      Make Ubuntu_18.04 use local time, with: "timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock"
> However, I'm about to switch to Kerberos for several services, so I must use a reliable source for time.

Is is possible to combine this with ntp?

> It seems that system-d is the culprit, in initiating the writing of the current time back to the bios/hwclock.
> Is there anything I can do, to stop system-d causing this inconvenience ?

There is *probably* a shutdown service somewhere that controls this.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933