Is it possible to download packages from 16-04 repository to install on 18-04

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 11 09:14:35 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Montag, den 11.06.2018, 15:32 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:
> Hello.
>
> It has occurred to me, as the Ubuntu Software Centre, Me TV, NetSurf,
> and various other packages in 16.04 are not available in 18.04, is it
> possible to download packages from the 16.04 repository, and, install
> them in 18.04?
>
> If so, how do we access the 16.04 repositotory and download the 16.04
> packages, from 18.04?

typically deb packages have dependencies they are compiled against, so
it is often not possible to simply use an app from an old version
without also replacing system libraries with their old versions, which
in turn breaks existing istalled stuff ...

one solution to this problem are snap packages, which operate release
and distro independent, so they can run on any distro that supports
snap. for the apps you are missing you could file a request at:

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/snap-wishlist-suggestions-wanted/

perhaps someone wants to step up to create snap packages for them...
(or you want to take the challenge yourself :))

ciao
	oli