Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Jul 28 00:45:56 UTC 2018

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:25:28 -0700, Eric Fort wrote:
>Because I want a lean install I seem to be forced to use the mini iso
>and the text installer so I can get a bone bare server base system
>without desktop.

When I installed a RC version, the only choice was the server image, so
I unchecked the install of as much package groups as possible. IOW you
also could use the server image, to get an Ubuntu install without X,
Wayland a WM and DE. Keep in mind that the Ubuntu policy is
user-friendliness! My daily used distro is Arch Linux, by it's policy
it's not user-friendly. Depending on your needs, Arch's
non-user-friendliness could be much user-friendly.

>I assign a static address, gateway, and subnet as assigned by our
>network admin but the installer can not reach the network to get
>packages

If you want to stay with Ubuntu and the mini iso should cause
issues, since downloads are required during the install, then install
from the server image and uncheck all package groups you don't need.
Once you installed it, it's much easier to solve Internet related
issues.