unable to access windows share directory on windows server 2008

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Jul 27 17:59:53 UTC 2018

On 27/07/18 15:00, Jatin khatri wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2018 01:46 AM, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> On 26/07/18 05:51, Jatin khatri wrote:
>>> I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop, I'm unable to access windows shared
>>> directory using following command in nautilus addressbar
>>> I use Thunar for accessing Windows shares (for no other reason than it
>>> works for the shares I need to access :-)
>>
>> Can you install Thunar and see if that can access it?
> > yes I've installed it but no luck.... situation is same and same error
> message

I was going to suggest trying Dolphin, which used to be my favourite
file manager, but I just installed it myself, and the problem of not
showing file icons is still there after four years, so it's a dodo.

(Quite why the dolphin devs refuse to fix this bug is beyond me.)

I'm afraid I'm out of options. I know it took me a long time to find the
right file manager and the right incantation to open a share, and even
now it's a messy and error-prone operation, with a pop-up window that
refuses to remember the shares you have used, even if the 'remember
forever' button is clicked, and the silent and grey keychain popup which
appears so discreetly in the top corner of the screen that you don't
notice it, and wait while nothing happens. The sooner I get away from a
Windows environment the better. But I'm sorry I cannot provide more help.

///Peter