vertical taskbars on MATE - was: 18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 19:41:10 UTC 2018

Hey there,

Liam Proven wrote:

>A taskbar is the combination of multiple elements:
>* start menu
>* quick launch area (optional)
>* app switcher
>* notification area
>* clock
>
>So here is a best-effort with MATE:
>
>https://imgur.com/dBfjico
>
>Note how it is broken in multiple ways.
>
>[1] The menu button is vertical. Should be horizontal.
>[2] Quick start icons have scaled with the panel. This is incorrect;
>they should stay constant size but arrange in rows with the panel.
>[3] The app switcher is sort of functional, but there is no spacing.
>[4] Also, AFAICS, I can't pin apps to it.
>[5] Note that the system indicators are arranged vertically.

Yes, I'm getting similar results with my experiments (which I
accidentally put into the wrong thread).

As for item number 4, the good news is that MATE can do that.

If you use the "Main Menu" applet (my favorite), you can right-click
any program in the menu and choose any of these from the context
menu, with the last one offering a sub-menu:
	* Add this launcher to panel
	* Add this launcher to desktop
	* Entire menu >
		* Add this as drawer to panel
		* Add this as menu to panel

If you use the "Menu Bar" applet, you can right-click any program in
the menu and choose any of these from the context menu, with the last
one offering a sub-menu:
	* Add this launcher to panel
	* Add this launcher to desktop
	* Entire menu >
		* Add this as drawer to panel
		* Add this as menu to panel

If you use the "MATE Menu" applet, you can right-click any program in
the menu choose from these context menu options:
	* Add to desktop
	* Add to panel

--
Little Girl