18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:00:31 UTC 2018

On 20 July 2018 at 16:44, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 20 July 2018 at 01:39, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ive been wondering....
> >>
> >> I did this:
> >> gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.dash-to-dock show-apps-at-top
> >> true
> >>
> >> and when my desktop (crashed/failed/froze/what ever you call it), this
> is
> >> the
> >> last thing I had done. Ive been searching for a way to change this to
> >> false
> >> on the other user account though I cant login.
> >

> > Not sure if this is still relevant, but if you remove or rename
> > .local/share/gnome-shell that will remove all extensions for that user,
> so
> > if the login problem is one of the extensions then that should allow you
> > log in.
> >
> > Colin
>
> The only thing in that folder is application_state which is just a
> list of last seen
> apps.

Hmm, on a clean 18.04 install I see you are right.  The built-in Ubuntu
Dock (which is a pre-configured version of dash-to-dock I think) apparently
doesn't have an entry there.  My suggestion is useless in this case then,
sorry.

Are you able to get a terminal login for that user?  Via ssh or whatever?
If so then you may be able to disable the extension using
gnome-shell-extension-tool as described in
https://askubuntu.com/questions/591757/how-to-activate-deactivate-a-gnome-shell-extension-from-command-line
though I have not tried that myself.

Colin