vertical taskbars on MATE - was: 18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:15:21 UTC 2018

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 at 01:47, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Liam Proven wrote:
>
> >Maté is fine but can't do vertical taskbars.
>
> Actually, it's pretty quick and painless to get vertical taskbars on
> the MATE desktop. I created a quick blog post and added a couple of
> screenshots of my desktop with some samples. The first one shows a
> bottom and left taskbar. The second one shows a bottom and two left
> taskbars. I don't normally use a left taskbar, so I just threw some
> shortcuts onto them so you could see them in action:
>
> https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/2018/07/

I answered this in the other thread, but hey.

As I said:

I am not sure that I understand. Please do look at the photo gallery
-- it is much easier to show than to explain.

https://imgur.com/a/fLeAy

It seems to me that most people have never seen a vertical taskbar. At
some jobs, colleagues have been amazed -- they didn't know you could
move and resize the taskbar.

I have spent a lot of time trying to reproduce this layout in GNOME 2,
Maté, Cinnamon and KDE. KDE can sort of do it, but the start button
becomes *HUGE* (about 200x200 pixels, taking 10% of the whole panel),
other controls get huge.

Maté, Cinnamon, Budgie etc. don't  understand that notification area
icons should flow in rows and just make them bigger, which is not only
ugly, it means you quickly run out of room. Weather indicators and so
on become unreadable as the text is sideways.

> I likely have got more panels installed, but I just show the versions
> of the panels mentioned by this email:
>
> $ pacman -Q mate-panel xfce4-panel lxpanel fbpanel
> mate-panel 1.20.2-1
> xfce4-panel 4.12.2-1
> lxpanel 0.9.3-2
> fbpanel 7.0-2

Versions don't tell me much, I'm afraid. A screenshot would be more informative.

> While I'm using a horizontal panel on the top, my panel actually are
> two panels on top

See, this is the problem. I don't want a taskbar particularly -- I was
perfectly happy with Unity's Mac-like layout. But I can't have that
any more, just clumsy kludgy recreations like Maté's attempt.

All the other desktops are based on panels. If I must have a panel, I
want it vertical.

So no horizontal panels at all. All removed, merged into a single
vertical panel, with inside it, horizontal text, horizontal rows of
indicator icons, horizontally-displayed indicators, horizontal
window-switching buttons with horizontal text in them.