vertical taskbars on MATE - was: 18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Jul 19 00:44:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 19:44:32 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>Hey there,
>
>Liam Proven wrote:
>
>>Maté is fine but can't do vertical taskbars.
>
>Actually, it's pretty quick and painless to get vertical taskbars on
>the MATE desktop. I created a quick blog post and added a couple of
>screenshots of my desktop with some samples. The first one shows a
>bottom and left taskbar. The second one shows a bottom and two left
>taskbars. I don't normally use a left taskbar, so I just threw some
>shortcuts onto them so you could see them in action:
>
>https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/2018/07/

To a vertical mate-panel add "Window List" and enlarge the panel to 384
pixels. IIUC what's called "Window List" for mate-panel is what Liam
calls "task bar".

For xfce4-panel it's called "Window Buttons". If you select "Vertical"
for xfce4-panel the "Window Buttons" are 90° rotated, you need to
select "Deskbar" to get what Liam wants to get.

Liam's guess seems to be, that a vertical mate-panel does look like
a vertical xfce4-panel, but actually Liam is mistaken, a vertical
mate-panel does look like a deskbar xfce4-panel, at least for the
"task bar", aka "Window List", aka "Window Buttons".

The versions of the panels might be important.