18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Jul 18 12:01:13 UTC 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 13:02:07 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>So buttons should stay the same _height_ but change in width. What
>they should _never_ do is grow larger: the idea is to see more rows of
>controls, not bigger ones.

That seems to work for the "tasks" shown by the panel when using the
version mentioned below, but other items are fishy, e.g. a Mac alike
menu is displayed with the fonts rotated by 90°. I'm to lazy to test it
again, but in the morning I tested several panels and even the task of
xfce4-panel under some circumstances could be rotated by 90° when using
xfce4-panel, it might be related to the kind of restart, however, some
items become way to large when using xfce4-panel vertically with a
grown size, too.

I likely have got more panels installed, but I just show the versions
of the panels mentioned by this email:

$ pacman -Q mate-panel xfce4-panel lxpanel fbpanel
mate-panel 1.20.2-1
xfce4-panel 4.12.2-1
lxpanel 0.9.3-2
fbpanel 7.0-2

>Only Xfce and LXDE/LXQt can, that I know of. Of the two, Xfce is more
>customisable, so I use that.

While I'm using a horizontal panel on the top, my panel actually are
two panels on top, lxpanel and fbpanel, to get nicer eye candy, as
well as a more customisable panel than the xfce4-panel, let alone that
upstream of lxpanel cares about user's bug reports, see
https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/bugs/751/ . Try to argue regarding this
or a similar controversial issue with upstream of environments that are
based too much upon gnome'ish crap, such as gvfs. Unlikely that a Xfce4
developer would care, you could be happy if they are willing to fix
important bugs such as the data loss bug Thunar had for much too long.