18.04 = circular login problem on system freeze

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:02:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 at 05:07, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Liam Proven wrote:
>
> >Maté is fine but can't do vertical taskbars.
>
> Actually, it's pretty quick and painless to get those on the MATE
> desktop. I created a quick blog post and added a couple of
> screenshots of my desktop. The first one shows a bottom and left
> taskbar. The second one shows two left taskbars and one bottom one.
>
> I don't normally use a vertical taskbar, so I just threw something
> together so you could get the idea:
>
> https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/2018/07/

That's a vertical *panel* but it's not a vertical *taskbar*.

I get told this so often, I put together an Imgur album about a year
ago to show what I mean.

https://imgur.com/a/fLeAy

If you put the Windows taskbar vertically, the elements within it
still remain horizontal... because alphabets generally work
horizontally, and the most widely-used ones, left-to-right.

So buttons should stay the same _height_ but change in width. What
they should _never_ do is grow larger: the idea is to see more rows of
controls, not bigger ones.

All "traditional" desktops are copies of Windows: Fvwm95, IceWM, GNOME
2, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Enlightenment, etc. They all copy the original
Windows 95 desktop.

But most of them fail to correctly copy the behaviour of the Windows
taskbar when place at the left or right edge of the screen.

The object of the exercise is to remove any top or bottom panels, thus
maximising available vertical screen pixels. On widescreens, height is
precious, width is cheap.

So it needs to contain everything the top and bottom panels contained,
while still showing more, in legible form, than a top or bottom panel
can.

Compare the number of readable app buttons in a vertical toolbar --
mine can hold about 40 with 2-3 words in each -- with the number on a
horizontal panel: maybe 15 before they start shrinking until you can't
read the text and have to guess from a tiny icon, or scrub over them
with a mouse.

GNOME 2 or GNOME 3 can't do this with any number of addons. Cinnamon
can't. Maté can't.

Only Xfce and LXDE/LXQt can, that I know of. Of the two, Xfce is more
customisable, so I use that.