What did I just ruin?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 03:37:43 UTC 2018

I may have outsmarted myself.

I was about to upgrade packages and I wanted to capture the plethora of
messages I expected
this to produce, so I did it under script(1).  It captured all right, but
I'm a bit worried by a thing it
captured a few times...

For instance, at the end of fetching packages....  it's got a problem with
Dialog (whatever that is)
and it's not clear that its workaround worked.

-- Get:75 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
ntp-doc all 1:4.2.8p4+dfsg-3ubuntu5.9 [1,169 kB]
Get:76 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 rfkill
amd64 0.5-1ubuntu3.1 [8,530 B]
Fetched 281 MB in 37s (7,395 kB/s)
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs shell
buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 258286 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libquadmath0_5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.10_amd64.deb ...
Can anyone clarify?

++
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */