Software updater hangs after about 80%

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Jul 2 20:12:52 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 19:01:01 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:49, Richard Kimber wrote:
>> sudo apt install -f complained that
>> it could not get an exclusive lock.
>
>So there's still an operation running.

Not necessarily...

>> I tried killing the other process, but it remains in the list.

...what ever signal is send to end the process, if something went
wrong in the first place, it could happen that the lock file isn't
removed.

I tend to be reckless with removing lock files manually, wimps or users
without backups should check if a lock file is really unused, before
removing it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-is-another-process
https://askubuntu.com/questions/157196/unable-to-use-package-manager-due-to-exclusive-lock-error