synaptic on 17.10

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 31 03:14:34 UTC 2018

On 01/26/2018 07:53 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 26/01/18 13:30, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Mittwoch, den 24.01.2018, 17:23 +0000 schrieb Peter Hillier-Brook:
>>> I've just upgraded a friend's machine to Ubuntu 17:10 and joined a
>>> long
>>> list of people who've discovered that synaptic wont start.
>>>
>>> Has anyone information as to if/when this disastrous failure of
>>> testing
>>> has/will be fixed?
>>>
>> FYI:
>>
>> https://community.ubuntu.com/t/xorg-will-be-the-default-in-18-04-lts/36
>> 23
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://insights.ubuntu.com/2018/01/26/bionic-beaver-18-04-lts-to-use-
>> xorg-by-default
>>
>> ciao
>> 	oli
>
> Thanks, Oliver.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter HB

In the interim you can also:

Command line way for Ubuntu 17.10:

sudo nano /etc/gdm3/custom.conf

uncoment "WaylandEnable=false"

--> reboot.

Credit: bl4ckOut comment
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Linux/State-of-Wayland-amp-TeamViewer/m-p/26340#M1389

This removes the Wayland entries from the login menu & leaves (in my case):
GNOME on Xorg
GNOME (Flashback Compiz)
GNOME (Flashback Metacity)
Ubuntu on Xorg

I tested on all of the above & Synaptic is working just fine. I
typically only run GNOME Flashback so I can't vouch for Ubuntu on Xorg,
but running that desktop for a few hours seemed to be OK on my 17.10 system.