What to use for browser flash support?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Jan 21 23:10:08 UTC 2018

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 22:33:12 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
> > On 21/01/18 22:13, Liam Proven wrote:
> >
> > > No, mid to late period 32-bit PCs were a bad thing, mostly, and are
> > > better avoided.
> >
> > You must remember that there are many users who CANNOT AFFORD a new
> > computer and must rely on an old one. It is good that 32-bit Linux
> > continues to exist, even in old versions, so that these machines can
> > still be used. For some people they are their only lifeline.
>
> There are a few good reasons to keep outdated hardware, however, in
> most cases there are more reasons to use a newer machine. To get a new
> 64bit machine is not expensive, let alone that if you chose a dual-core
> with less horsepower, as I did, it affects the power bill, IOW a new
> machine does cost you less money, then continuing maintaining and using
> an old machine. Actually my outdated 64bit CPU did consume less power,
> but my older 32bit CPUs consumed much more power, than even my current
> 64bit CPU does. While the older 64bit CPU consumes a little bit less
> power, the new CPU is much faster, so in the end it might need less
> power to finish the same task. Don't get me wrong, I'm using a computer
> as long as possible, I used my old 64bit machine for around ten years,
> before I replaced it by a newer machine.

We are talking about a technology that increased a lot within the last
decade. While already old 64bit machines are completely outdated,
keeping a 32bit machine in most cases is completely idiotic. To shout
out "CANNOT AFFORD" to migrate from 32bit to 64bit is beyond belief in
most countries, since you usually could get outdated 64bit hardware for
free as in beer in industrialised countries. Probably you neighbours
through away their hardware, simply ask them to donate it to you.