MUA rethreading (was: Re: Meltdown – Spectre - Was: kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 14 01:38:56 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 08:26:06PM +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
> I have tried to argue to the authors of MUAs that they could perform a
> service to the human race by adding a Rethread feature. This would allow the
> user to click on a message line of a wrongly-threaded message or collapsed
> group of messages in the summary pane (assuming a traditional interface with
> a summary pane and a text pane below it or beside it), and drag and drop the
> message[s] onto the thread where it/they belong[s].

Mutt has such a feature: it's called "link-threads", and bound to the
"&" key by default.  You tag the wrongly-threaded child message with
"t", move to its correct parent message, press "&", and you're done.
Replies to the tagged child message will be rethreaded as you'd expect,
unless they themselves have incorrect In-Reply-To (etc.) headers in
which case you can repeat the procedure.

(Of course, no doubt many more people use graphical MUAs.)