kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 11:17:24 UTC 2018

On 10 January 2018 at 10:36, robert rottermann <robert at redcor.ch> wrote:
> On 10.01.2018 11:26, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 10 January 2018 at 10:22, robert <robert at redcor.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> No entry in /var/log/syslog when I log into kernel 4.4.0-104 recovery
>>> mode
>>> (the failing version is -108)
>>
>> I wonder whether the kernel install failed for some reason. It would
>> be worth trying
>>
>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> If that shows any errors then
>> sudo apt-get install -f
>>
>> Colin
>>
> this asked me to remove some unneeded kernel with apt autoremove.
>
> I did so, but nothing changed.

This may capture messages from before the log gets going:
Firstly tell systemd to keep the journal
sudo mkdir /var/log/journal
The fact that the directory exists tells it to put stuff there.
Reboot into the failing kernel
Rebbot into the good kernel
Immediately run
journalctl -b -1 > ~/tmp/journal.txt
then in /tmp/journal.txt there may be something useful

Once this problem is sorted remove the /var/log/journal directory again.

Colin