kernel 4.4.0-108 / 16.04 LTS does not boot anymore

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Wed Jan 10 08:41:47 UTC 2018

Hi
On 10.01.2018 08:59, সাজেদুর রহিম জোয়ারদার wrote:
> Hi robert

> <mailto:robert at redcor.ch>>:
>
>     Hi there,
>
>     my good old pc  running 16.04 LTS Desktop got a an update today.
>
>     Now it does not boot any more.
>

> On which stage it is hanging now while booting? Can you please share a
> photo/screenshot of your pc while booting?
When I just let it boot as normal, the pc just hangs with a blank screen, after
it displayed the grub boot selection, and booted into the default kernel.

when I select the "more options" (i do not remember the exact wording) i get a
list with a number of kernels and boot options.
The first one is kernel 4.4.0-108.
If I boot into it, two lines are displayed in the text console.
The second line tells, that a virtual drive or some such is loaded. Then the pc
hangs.

when I boot from an older kernel, or an older ubuntu version still on the box,
everything works fine.

robert