Grub error: "will not proceed with blocklists."

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 5 19:44:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 08:13:35PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> desktop ~ % LANG=C parted -s /dev/sda print
> Model: ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 4001GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
> Partition Table: gpt
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
>  1      1049kB  2097kB  1049kB
>  2      2097kB  258MB   256MB   ext2
>  3      258MB   4001GB  4001GB
[...]
> /dev/sda1 has the type "Linux Filesystem", as reported by fdisk. Could this be the culprit? It doesn't seem to really contain a filesystem:
>
> desktop /tmp % mkdir sda1
> desktop /tmp % mount /dev/sda1 sda1
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail or so.

It looks to me as though you've just lost the metadata in the partition
table that indicates that that's the BIOS Boot Partition.  I'd suggest
following the advice in
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#GPT to set the
bios_grub flag on /dev/sda1, then running grub-install again.