Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 19:39:48 UTC 2018

On 21/02/2018, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/02/2018, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> javascript is disabled.
>>>
>>> Apart from all of the other problems (including progressively
>>> consuming all available RAM), javascript is apparently the medium used
>>> by Meltdown and/or Spectre.
>>>
>>> So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.
>>
>> Can't you enable javascript on a site-by-site basis?
>>

> I use toggling the value in about.config to enable javascript for only
> two web sites.
>
> Javascript is simply too problematic and too harmful, and I get fed up
> with the system crashes that it causes, due toi people incapable of
> proper web site development.
>
> As my wife, who uses the horrible tool in her work, has told me, a web
> site that uses javascript and that is prpoerly developed, shoulds not
> endlessly consume RAM and cause system crashes due to running out of
> resources, and, properly developed web sites should release the RAM
> tghat they hijack, when the applicable browser tabs/windows accessing
> the web sites, are closed. That generally does not occur, so
> javascript causes system crashes.
>
> Unfortunately, the advent of such fourth generation development tools,
> resulted in decreasing competency in web developers, so that properly
> developed web sites that use javacript, are few and far between.
>
> javascript is simply, due to the nature of the majority of web sites
> that use it, the same in nature, as Meltdown and Spectre - one of the
> greatest threats to ICT, at present.

And, getting back to the point, which people went to such effort to
get away from, once upon a time, for Linux, wonderful things named
"HOWTO's" were available, and were universally accessible (not written
by script kiddies, to require all kinds of trickery, to access them).

A universally accessible HOWTO, that leads stepwise through the
installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
system, would be helpful, rather than trying to limit the use of
Linux.

And, if it could be provided by, and for, the different interfaces
(MATE, KDE, fvwm (does that still exist?), xfce, etc, that would be
even better.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale