Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Feb 20 13:24:36 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-20 06:09 AM, Tom H wrote:

> I've never enabled CSM. However, I'd expect to have to boot a CD/DVD
> in legacy mode with it enabled. If the Ubuntu installer is behaving
> differently, it'd be good to file a bug report.

This is not a bug.. this is exactly the way Linux/Grub and EFI are
designed to work, and have been since the dawn of EFI.

Personally, I think it would be *great* if Linux did the same as
Windows, and at least had an easy to check on option to save the EFI
boot file in the default file that all systems can boot from by default.
 (ie,: EFI/boot/bootx64.efi)  However, Grub simply does not do this on
it's own.  Without very technical manual intervention, it will only
install if it's able to access the EFI interface and add the boot
entries into the motherboard BIOS.. (It's not really BIOS anymore, but I
forget the proper term.)

So to make a very very long and meandering thread simple, and cut my
babbling explanations short, the answer is simple.  If you are
installing Ubuntu on an EFI system, verify that you are booting your
install media in EFI.

Maybe complain to Motherboard manufacturers if that's not the default.