Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 08:30:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 19/02/2018, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Is a HOWTO published for installing Ubuntu on a UEFI/GPT system, now
>>> that Ubuntu can apparently be installed directly into the UEFI/GPT
>>> system without being concerned about LegacyBIOS?
>>
>> Ubuntu's been able to install out of the box on EFI boards for a long time.
>>
>> There's nothing special to be done for EFI. You boot from an
>> installation image and
>>
>> https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0
>
> I can't acccess that URL.

Strange. Can you go to

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

and then use the installation link at the bottom left of the page?

> In the last message before your one above, was
>
> "
>> Here is where I think you are getting into trouble. For Ubuntu
>> installer to properly configure EFI boot, you have to boot the
>> install CD with EFI. With CSM enabled, your motherboard will allow
>> you to boot the CDROM in legacy mode, in which case, the installer
>> will not load the kernel modules needed to install EFI boot
>> environment. I have even seen many motherboards that boot CDROM in
>> legacy mode by default.
>
> That was the problem. With CSM enabled the first item in the boot menu
> was the CD in legacy mode. The CD in EFI mode was the fourth entry.
> This required me to hold the Esc key when I power on to get the boot
> menu and select the EFI CD to install Ubuntu.

Perhaps there's a bug when CSM is enabled and it should be reported.

More importantly, why is CSM being enabled? Is there a technical
reason that's preventing someone to boot from "regular" EFI? Or is
this a cargo-cult installation procedure?