Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Mon Feb 19 18:46:47 UTC 2018

On 18/02/18 22:41, Bob wrote:
> I have purchased a new computer, it is my first UEFI computer so I am new to
> this.

Having been through this a few months ago on a new Dell XPS 15, and had
endless pain from every Linux distribution I tried, I have only one
piece of advice: disable UEFI, enable Legacy Boot, and use that.

The people who write the drivers and the installers need our support,
and they need time and resources, just like they did to get existing
systems to the stage where they install using grub pretty much without
blinking. I'm sure that one day it will be possible to install Linux
painlessly on a UEFI sytem, but today is not that day.

///Peter