18.04 daily build "hang"

David L david4lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 02:39:56 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:13 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Tue, 13 Feb 2018 10:26:17 -0800 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not
> for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>
> wrote:

> > > yesterday
> other
> > > with

> > > (rev

> that
> trying
> from a
> mouse?
> > > Or
> wait
> > > and
> > >
> > > About getting "useful debug info from a system that is non-responsive
> other
> > > than the ability to move the mouse": can you do any of these:
> > >
> > > ssh into the machine from another computer?
> > >
> > Didn't try yet. I didn't know the IP address and my firewalls are locked
> > down pretty tight on that network, so I'd have to reconfigure things to
> > try. If I did get in, what should I look for? tail of logs, dmesg???
>
> Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log could be enlightening, otherwise, yes
> looking
> at log files can could be useful.  Seeing what sort of state X is in (S or
> or R or what).  Seeing what kill X or kill -9 X does, etc.
>

> > > did you try installing as a non-graphical startup/login?
> > >
> > No I didn't but I don't anticipate any problems in that environment, so
> > there would be nothing to debug.
>
> *Excecpt* you could verify that it is indeed the *GUI* subsystem that is
> borked.  Also, you can separate the GUI *login* from the GUI itself.  And
> you
> can try ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X11 and return to the console terminal
> and
> then look at log files, etc.  Doing ctrl-alt-backspace with a GUI login,
> just
> restarts the GUI login and if the *GUI* is borked, that can be fruitless.
>

> > > were you able to switch to another virtual console?
> > >

> > I didn't try that yet either... would that be ctrl-alt-F2? Again, what
> > commands would I run to capture useful data on a partially responsive
> > graphical session?
>
> ctrl-alt-F[1234567]
>
> So the answer is that ctrl-alt-F[1234567] don't work when it gets into
that state and neither does the caps lock light change when I press the
button. Furthermore, after an upgrade, it gets into an even less responsive
state where the mouse doesn't respond.

Additionally, after I installed kubuntu-desktop and logged in under plasma
with Wayland and then rebooted and tried to log into a standard Ubuntu
session, I got this error window on a black screen:

"unsupported number of arguments (4); falling back to default session"

Another problem I saw was that one of my monitors is in portrait mode and
when I move the mouse across the right boundary, I see two mouse pointers
for a while... one where it should be in the window the to right and one
where it would be if it was in landscape mode.

Cheers,

          Dave