How to clean up full /boot safely?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 20:35:30 UTC 2018

On 12 February 2018 at 20:31, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is it possible to give a definite canonical answer to this, without
>> referring to firmware versions, BIOS restrictions, motherboard
>> support, etc?
>
> Yes because it doesn't matter. Unless both sda and sdb are broken.

Once again:

Yes you can configure a particular machine, or a particular detailed
spec, where this will work.

But I own machines where there is a single boot hard disk setting in
the BIOS and if that drive fails it is not possible to specify a
failover device.

It is _not_ possible to make a blanket statement "do this and this will work".

There are hardware setups where it won't. You are not considering that case.

Which is why I said _might_.

There are setups where it _might_ not work, and that kind of thing is
why people like me write manuals which carefully say "this might work
but don't rely on it", and why some people use /boot filesystems even
today, which is the point of this thread.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053