How to clean up full /boot safely?

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 10:29:35 UTC 2018

On 12 February 2018 at 10:00, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Things GRUB might have problems with:
>
> * filesystems that are not built into the kernel but run as modules (e.g. ZFS)
> * filesystems that spread across multiple disks (e.g. ZFS, LVM, software RAID)
> * filesystems which are encrypted

I believe that later versions of grub will cope with LVM, though I
have not tried it.

The only system that I have a separate boot (and it could do with
being larger) is one that I installed on some time ago using LVM to
give me a large virtual disk. The installer set up a /boot for me and
I am nervous about trying to shrink the LVM partition (if that is the
right word, probably not) in order to grow /boot. I don't want to risk
losing the LVM data as it would be a pain to recover.

Colin