How to clean up full /boot safely?

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Feb 10 21:26:23 UTC 2018

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 21:03:05 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>On 10 February 2018 at 20:55, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
>wrote:
>>>
>>>Actually you would avoid the OP's issue by not seperating /boot
>>>from /. The issue is caused by a seperated /boot partition and an
>>>assumed size
>>           ^usually
>>>that is idiotic, if somebody should need to install many kernels.
>>
>> Sure, even / including /boot, could be too small, but usually this
>> issue is related to a too small separated /boot partition, resp. to
>> users how don't know how to handle kernel upgrades, since just a
>> minority needs many installed kernels.
>
>The problem arises if you have small /boot partition and do not
>remember to run apt autoremove occasionally to remove the old ones.

Indeed, but there actually is no plausible reason for GRUB users to
seperate /boot from /. For this majority of users, it makes much more
sense to make /boot part of /, since they would get rid of the need to
estimate potentially needed space for /boot. Actually I'm a syslinux
user, so seperating /boot from / makes much sense, regarding a weekness
of the syslinux bootloader (JFTR off-topic, apart from this weekness,
there are advantages when chosing syslinux over GRUB, but those are
irrelevant for this thread).