Does mv on a FAT filesystem actually rename or does it copy and delete?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 3 13:34:27 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Samstag, den 03.02.2018, 12:29 +0000 schrieb Chris Green:

> Thanks for the answers so far but to re-emphasise why I asked the
> question:-
>
>     I know that mv of a file in a directory on a Linux type
> filesystem
>     will just write the new name of a file in the directory without
>     moving the data/contents of the file.

one would hope that the kernel abstracts the filesystem layer enough
that a command like mv works the same everywhere, regardless of the
underlying filesystem ;)

i.e. the kernel should manage that on a lower layer without you having
to care (an mv on the same filesystem should always just modify the
(directory) metadata for the file, not the payload data itself)

ciao
	oli