synaptic on 17.10

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 19:40:28 UTC 2018

On 1 February 2018 at 20:28, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> Ok, synaptiy not necessarily is needed, some users for good reasons are
> just used to it. I'm using command line and a browser with the Ubuntu
> package search and since I'm a long time Linux user, this is all I
> need as well as the most comfortable way to go for me. When I was a
> Linux novice synaptic was my favoured package managment apps for Debian
> and Debian alike distros, such as Ubuntu.

That's the thing. There are better novice-friendly alternatives to
Synaptic, both for updating and for getting new apps. I regard it as a
techie tool, to be kept away from novices.

Saying that, I always install it. :-)

But I've tried GNOME 3 again recently, in SUSE, Fedora, and Ubuntu
forms, and I will _not_ be switching to it.

I think I will be going to Xfce.

> Is there a good alternative to gparted? Are Wayland users or Ubuntu
> maintainers forced to use dirty workarounds, to be able to run the
> probably best partition GUI app?

Well, it's always safer to run it from a boot disk anyway, so maybe
that is the answer?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053