Second monitor

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Dec 28 11:51:05 UTC 2018

On 28/12/2018 00:18, Karl Auer wrote:
>> Yes, I've done this with a single monitor.
> You misunderstand - I tested with a second monitor, attached via HDMI.
> Only the second monitor image rotated.

Oops, sorry. OK, thanks.

>> That was the easy bit :-) I unclipped the stand, sawed a new cutout
>> in the plastic cover of the fixing plate, drilled four holes in the
>> fixing plate itself so I could remount the stand at 90°, and then
>> reattached it and clipped it back in.
>
> This is clearly some new definition of "easy" that I am unfamiliar with
> :-)

No srsly. Took about 30 mins. But I do have a workshop and tools.

On 28/12/2018 02:44, Doug wrote:
[...]> I own a Panasonic VP930B 19" monitor which is designed to work in
> either landscape or portrait mode.

I had a swivel-mounted one in a previous office. Very nice.

> I bought it to do just what the op wants, but I never did that, because:
> 1: I never figured out how to make the computer do that, and
> 2: I don't have room for two monitors on one computer, altho this
>    VP930B, rotates, so you could use just the one

I did try that once, but it means rearranging all the apps on all the
desktops every time you flip. I think it's possible to specify their X
geometry so that they would be in the right place, but it's easier to
use two monitors.

> SO, anyone who lives on Long Island, NY, [...]

Which, like Boston, is popularly said to be "just the next parish" from
here (Ireland) but there's an inconvenient ocean in the way :-)