Second monitor

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:59:58 UTC 2018

On 28/12/2018, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
> I have a Dell XPS desktop and my regular monitor is connected via the
> HDMI socket.
>
> I want to set up a second monitor in *portrait* mode — I do a lot of
> publishing work, so having a display I can show a full page on the right
> way up would be useful.
>
> I have an unused second screen with DVI and VGA ports, and the desktop
> has a DVI port.
>
> Before I rush out and buy cable, can I connect this second screen using
> the DVI ports this way, and if so, will Ubuntu 18 detect it (or can I
> configure it in the X settings) so I can export DISPLAY=:1 or whatever,
> and then issue an xrandr -o left command or use some utility to rotate
> the second monitor image.
>
> If that's possible, what would I need to do to force a program (eg
> okular) to display its image full-screen on the second monitor?

It is probably not the solution that you want, but I am wondering
whether, on the premise that your primary screen is a widescreen
monitor, at least 24", your desktop publishing application can not
display two A4 pages side by side, and, if so, whether that would
provide what you want; possibly getting a single widescreen monitor,
that is bigger than 24" - possibly, 32", and, displaying two pages, in
portrait profile, side by side.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale