python script aborts on Ubuntu 16.04: No JSON object could be decoded

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 28 08:09:17 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 28.08.2018, 06:47 +0200 schrieb M. Fioretti:

> right before the one that prints the error message below, it prints:
>
> <Response [200]>
>
> IIUC, this means that shaarli answers with an HTTP response code
> *instead* of something in JSON format, as expected, and is this that
> causes the error:
>
> "JSONDecodeError: Expecting value..."
>
> by simple_json. Am I right? If yes, what now?

looking at the code:

        response = requests.post(args.url+"/links",
            data=json.dumps(new_bookmark), headers=headers)

do you have the python-requests library installed ?

in general, when using such a third party python script you should
first take a look at all the import statements at the top of the code.
then find out which deb package provides which of the imported modules
(apt-cache search and google are usually helpful with that) and install
them ...

another issue i see is that the script needs to send an api key, did
you provide one in your invocation ?

also ... quoting from the code:

argparser.add_argument("--url", action="store", required=True,
    help="Full URL to a Shaarli instance.  Must include the /api/v1
bit.")

but your url does not seem to include /api/v1 anywhere ...

ciao
	oli