Vertical taskbars on MATE

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:53:54 UTC 2018

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 21:40, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> I forgot GNUstep, also provided by at least Ubuntu and Arch Linux:

OMG, Ralf, really?

I know that. I have known that for a decade. I have tried it. I have
built it. Have you?

*It is not a selectable choice of desktop.* It is there, yes, but you
have to build your own desktop, which is far from trivial.

No mainstream desktop offers, or has ever offered, GNUstep or ROX as a
choice of desktop.

Etoilé has never released anything but source:

http://etoileos.com/

Simply GNUstep is just a live demo disk:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/simplygnustep/

So is GNUstep Live:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_Live_CD

No distro offers this as a choice of desktop. No distro offers ROX
either. None ever has.

Yes you can just apt-get in a window manager such as IceWM or fvwm95
and get a working environment. You can't do that with a full desktop.
It needs a lot of integration. That is what distros are _for_.

Cinnamon, GNOME, Budgie, KDE, LXDE, Xfce, Enlightenment, whatever you
like -- there are a choice of distros which will give you a complete
running working environment with this, all ready to go.

This is not true for GNUstep or for ROX and it never has been true.

We have been communicating on this list for several years now, Ralf.
Please do me the small dignity of assuming that I am not an idiot and
that I actually know what I am talking about.