Vertical taskbars on MATE

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:38:28 UTC 2018

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 20:20, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> that is _not_ well-worded. Default kernels of distros are bloated, to
> support a variety of hardware, but this has got no impact on the
> performance. Regarding performance the kernel is no issue at all. If you
> want a smaller kernel, you could compile a very slim kernel:

I meant what I said and I can back it up.

Take QNX as an example. Do you think, with _any_ version of Linux ever
released, you could build a full distro in 2MB of compressed code.
Desktop, GUI, shell and file manager, web browser, dial-up or NIC
based TCP-IP stack. The whole thing.

Remember, not optimised for any particular machine -- it could boot
and run on anything.

Download it and try it!

https://winworldpc.com/product/qnx/144mb-demo

Hint: you can't. It's impossible. It has never been done, it never
could be done, it never will be.

Maybe in about 10x that size -- TinyCore Linux is impressive.

But 10x is a _lot_.

Acorn's RISC OS, as runs today on the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard etc.,
fits the core OS, all drivers etc, the GUI and desktop, and the core
apps -- file manager, text editor, image viewer etc. -- into 6MB of
ROM.

Not gig. Meg.

It's smaller than UEFI firmware alone.

> >No Linux distro includes either GNUstep or ROX, sadly, nor ever has.
>
> At least Ubuntu and Arch Linux do provide ROX:
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux aur]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio apt list -qqa 'rox-*'
> rox-filer/xenial 1:2.11-1 amd64
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux aur]$ pacman -Si rox | head
> Repository      : community
> Name            : rox
> Version         : 2.11-3
> Description     : A small and fast file manager which can optionally manage the desktop background and panels

That's the file manager only, Ralf. Not the whole desktop.

Nemo is not Cinnamon. Nautilus is not GNOME.

ROX-Filer is not ROX.

Do you think I didn't know that? Do you think I hadn't tried?

Do you perhaps think that I am making this stuff up?

I am not. I do know what I am talking about.