Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:17:23 UTC 2018

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 08:24, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> Then run
>
>   sudo apt full-upgrade

I am surprised at you suggesting full-upgrade, it is safer to use apt
upgrade (which is not the same as apt-get upgrade).  full-upgrade will
remove packages if necessary whereas upgrade installs/upgrades as
necessary but will not remove any existing packages. It instead tells
you that some packages will be removed so that you can use
full-upgrade if you want.

So my standard procedure is
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
and then in the very rare situation where it says it is necessary to
remove packages I can consider whether I want to do that and run
sudo apt full-upgrade
if necessary.

Colin