"The system detected a problem, do you want to report it?" dialog

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat Aug 25 19:39:13 UTC 2018

On 25/08/18 20:29, Robert Heller wrote:
[...]
> I eventually figured out the problem. It was a *week old* error that I had
> already seen and in fact already "cured".

Excellent diagnosis, thank you.

> In other words, the "error" popup was totally extranious, unnecessary

As you describe it, the error dialog was itself a bug. *That*'s what
needs reporting.

[me]
>> 14.04 is getting a little long in the tooth but should still be stable.
>
> I know, but I am not one to randomly upgrade machines to the "latest"
> version on a whim, which often causes all sorts of problems, mostly
> subtle.

Dead right. I keep sacrifical machines to test upgrades on.

> These machines are being used by people who are not Linux experts and
> who need the machines to "Just Work" and not randomly change in
> non-trivial ways.

Stability was why my last job used CentOS for servers, but over time we
got fewer and fewer end-users and more and more properly-managed
processes that needed up-to-date software. Trying to run a modern web
server on an ancient LAMP stack is self-defeating.

///Peter