"The system detected a problem, do you want to report it?" dialog

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Aug 25 10:17:30 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-08-25 at 10:20 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2018 at 10:12, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> > If all Ubuntu users would remove apport and whoopsie and stop manually
> > reporting bugs, Ubuntu perhaps would consider to drop the complicated,
> > unusable bug tracker and migrate to a "normal", sane bug tracker, that
> > easily allows to manually report bugs, as it could be done for most, if
> > not all other FLOSS projects.
>
> What is complicated about OKing two dialogs to allow the crash to be
> reported? That is all one has to do in this situation.

Even if I shouldn't consider auto-reports as bad, why does somebody want
to run a crash daemon on e.g. a real-time environment that needs all
resources and that should run stable?

What if a bug doesn't crash or if that auto-thingy is buggy itself?

What about feature requests, e.g. asking to compile a package with
additional flags?

Btw. don't recommend just to click two times ok! The user first needs to
remove passwords and other sensible information from a bug report.