Menu System Tools/Software Updater not working after, Lubuntu upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 24 16:24:13 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Freitag, den 24.08.2018, 16:16 +0100 schrieb Colin Law:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 at 16:12, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 2018-08-24 at 16:43 +0200, grasso wrote:
> > >
> > > When I run update-manager in the terminal there is no window
> > > popping up.
> > Hi,
> >
> > I doubt running a manager to update software without root
> > privileges
> > makes much sense, since sync of the package index files already
> > requires
> > root privileges. Try running
> >
> >   gksudo $(which update-manager)
> Not necessary, it will ask for privileges if it needs them, at least
> that is the situation for me.  Have you tried it?

also note that debian and ubuntu removed the gksu package (which ships
the gksudo command) from their archives a while ago (debian only for
sid (unstalble) and buster, ubuntu for 18.04 onwards).
apps are supposed to use policykit interally to obtain needed
pirvileges (not only because this is more secure but also to make them
work in wayland sessions where apps running as root are not allowed
anymore by design)

ciao
	oli