Every few minutes rsyslog outputs - rsyslogd: action 'action 3' resumed (module 'builtin:omfile') [v8.32.0 try http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2359

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:27:47 UTC 2018

This is on a Ubuntu 18.04.1LTS system that was upgraded last week from
16.04.5LTS. The version of rsyslog installed is:

apt-cache policy rsyslog
rsyslog:
  Installed: 8.32.0-1ubuntu4
  Candidate: 8.32.0-1ubuntu4

The complete output is here:

https://pastebin.com/AxYYQaw5

I went to the links noted. The first one http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2359
from what I can read tells me that whatever action is referenced it was
resumed. I assume in this case it refers to this "resumed (module
'builtin:omfile'" The 2nd link http://www.rsyslog.com/e/2007 seems to
give me a fix for this. I've looked for what is mentioned in the 2nd
link in my /etc/rsyslog.conf file and in my /etc/rsyslog.d/50-
default.conf:

The 2nd link refers to this:

"A frequent case for this error message on Debian-based distributions
(like raspbian) is that rsyslog.conf contains the instruction to write
to the xconsole pipe, but this pipe is never read. If so, you can
simply delete these lines to remove the error message. These lines are
usually found at the end of rsyslog.conf."

My current /etc/rsyslog.conf file is here https://pastebin.com/WZVhryNW

If I need to add some lines to the .conf file I'm not sure what they
should be.

Any advice would be appreciated so as to keep this from filling up my
syslog.

Chris

--
Chris