SOLVED: Problems with LTS upgrade -- to see if this is common

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 20:52:08 UTC 2018

I'm not certain, and I'm unwilling to spend the day or so it would take to
verify, but it seems my difficulties had nothing to do with the general
upgrade process, but with my handling of GRUB itself.  I may have had up to
3 different versions of GRUB involved: some early version, the 16.04
version and the 18.04 version.  I never did a grub-install when I was
having the problems.

The problems went away when I did a grub-insall in front of every
update-grub (there were three points at which I did this).  This made sure
the upgrade code was working with a matching set of installed GRUB software.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */