Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 18 14:40:25 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Samstag, den 18.08.2018, 07:26 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:
> Replies threaded below:
>
> Sent using SMTP.
>

> > On Aug 18, 2018, at 1:34 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > Am Freitag, den 17.08.2018, 00:38 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:

> > > 2. The installer won’t seem to allow installation in a dual boot
> > > config,  it wants to use the entire disk and install mostly
> > > automatically.  I need more control over the install.
> > This works fine here... if you select manual install, you can
> > manually
> > create all partitions (or a LVM or RAID) and it will happily do a
> > dual-
> > boot installation if you partitioned it to do so (this is also one
> > of
> > the general iso tests before release, so this also has been tried
> > by
> > others (you can check results on http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/))
> Works fine here too

well, i did test it in a virtualbox win10 instance i had around here
before even posting (because your post got me curious) ... using [1]

> I beg to differ based upon this recent experience. The live cd server
> installer will continue to send you back to partitioning until you
> create a swap partition.

see above, i tested this too ...

again ... you really need to use the 18.04.1 installer, 18.04 is not
sufficient and the new installer was lacking a lot of features before
.1 (as usual, LTSes should not be used in production environments
before .1 is released (and the meta file is updated to provide the
auto-updates for LTS->LTS upgrades))

ciao
	oli

[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.1/ubuntu-18.04.1-live-server-amd64