Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Eric Fort eric.fort.listmail at fortconsulting.org
Sat Aug 18 14:26:16 UTC 2018

Replies threaded below:

Sent using SMTP.

Works fine here too *********IF YOU USE THE ALTERNATIVE (non-live) ISO IMAGE (with the old installer)*********. The live cd installer lacks the options to install to the gpt partition of your choice. The only option offered is to use the entire disk (and obliterate any other os present. Once directed to use the alternative (non-live) media it works fine and allows you to choose how to partition and where to install.

>> 3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather
>> not. If the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger
>> problems to resolve, like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.
>>
> There is definitely no swap partition used at all any more in *any*
> Ubuntu installs with 18.04, all installations were switched to use a
> sparse swap file. Dropping swap completely makes the kernels memory
> management take a different code path which can result in weird
> behaviour when getting close to the edge with ram usage, thus having a
> self-growing swap file was picked to not go completely without swap
> here. If you picked manual partitioning and did not create a swap
> partition explicitly, there should not be one ...

I beg to differ based upon this recent experience. The live cd server installer will continue to send you back to partitioning until you create a swap partition.