An observation (kernel 3.13.0-155 is broken WRT Java) and a Grub2 / Ubuntu question

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 17 20:17:07 UTC 2018

hi,
Am Freitag, den 17.08.2018, 15:57 -0400 schrieb Robert Heller:

> My question is this: what is the "magic" to change the default kernel
> to boot?
> With the grub2 configuration "magic" it is not a simple matter of
> changing one
> line /boot/grub/grub.conf, but seems to require something far more
> arcane and
> there does not seem to be a simple man page that explains
> this.  Sigh...

whoops, i meant to also answer this one ...

hold the shift key during boot to get into the menu
select the former kernel and boot it (see the bottom of the screen for
instructions)

after booting, edit /etc/default/grub, change the value of
GRUB_DEFAULT= to the grub menu entry you want booted as default and run
"sudo update-grub" ...

that should switch the default to to the entry you picked.

ciao
	oli