HP printer not discovered

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 17 06:07:12 UTC 2018

Thank you for reading this.

I normally use HP setup to discover my Ethernet connected printer,
however, my ISP has supplied me with a new modem and this is causing me
troubles and the printer is not discovered.

This is the displayed message:

This may be due to existing firewall settings blocking the required
ports. When you are in a trusted network environment, you may open the
ports for network services like mdns and slp in the firewall. For
detailed steps follow the link. http://hplipopensource.com/node/374

I have a choice of firewall settings; low, normal, high and user
defined, I have tried all. Mdns and slp are not mentioned as an option
under "user defined". I have visited the suggested web site but nothing
useful was found.

I know this is all a bit vague but perhaps someone has solved this problem.

I have, using Kubuntu's system settings got a working printer but it has
an odd name and doesn't show in the printer list and so cannot be
configured correctly.

Any ideas?

--
Regards,