More is broken in latest update

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 06:03:40 UTC 2018

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:25 AM Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 17:10:29 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> >A key question is what happens when you try and use it is supposed to
> >be used, passing it a file for example.
>
> The OP did post a lot of information, without the commands he used to
> get this information.
>
> I would like to see a copy & paste of the following piped commands and
> their output:
>
> alias | grep more

I was about to provide that information when this happened:

22:59 [admar at marbase:~/Downloads] $ which -a more
alias more='/usr/bin/less -mFX'
/bin/more
23:00 [admar at marbase:~/Downloads] $ alias | grep more
alias am='alias | more'
alias em='env | more'
alias fm='f | more'
alias hm='history | more'
alias lsmm='lsmod | more'
alias more='/usr/bin/less -mFX'
23:00 [admar at marbase:~/Downloads] $ more
Missing filename ("less --help" for help)
23:00 [admar at marbase:~/Downloads] $ /bin/more

Usage:
 more [options] <file>...

A file perusal filter for CRT viewing.

 -d          display help instead of ringing bell
 -f          count logical rather than screen lines
 -l          suppress pause after form feed
 -c          do not scroll, display text and clean line ends
 -p          do not scroll, clean screen and display text
 -s          squeeze multiple blank lines into one
 -u          suppress underlining
 -<number>   the number of lines per screenful
 +<number>   display file beginning from line number
 +/<string>  display file beginning from search string match
 -V          display version information and exit

For more details see more(1).
23:00 [admar at marbase:~/Downloads] $

Whatever happened during the day today (while I as at work) seems to
have alleviated the problem.

I never had an alias for 'more' before, but I like the way this one
works.  I always just used the more command as is, and I don't know
what I did last night, but it was a mess that seems to be completely
cleared up now.

Thank you all for the pointers - they were most helpful for my
education, and hopefully others.

Cheers!

MR