problems with virtualbox

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Aug 16 01:02:26 UTC 2018

It's good to hear that the 64 bit and 32 bit versions are working for
you again. An upgrade indeed could have fixed version incompatibilities.

On Thu, 2018-08-16 at 09:47 +1000, Peter wrote:
> My 32 bit laptop was upgraded to 18.04 following prompts from updating
> program.  Now, without making any changes the virtual box application
> works without any problems.

So you installed virtualbox from multiverse and not from Oracle, since
only the Ubuntu repository still provides a 32 bit release for bionic.

Remember On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 11:44:51 +1000, you wrote:
>After the updates yesterday the virtualbox failed

So it worked before upgrading.

Regarding what you described how the 64 bit version works again, this
means that the upgrade of the 64 bit version has removed the user from
the vboxusers group. You added the user back to this group and USB 2
started working again, while it actually requires the extension pack to
do so and it's hard to believe that the upgrade removed the user from
the group in the first place.

;)