Static web photo gallery generator wanted

Mon Aug 13 13:18:34 UTC 2018

On 8/13/18 5:47 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple, efficient way to generate an HTML gallery
> from a hierarchy of jpeg images.
>
> I.e. I have a directory ~/pictures which contains quite a deep
> hierarchy of sub-directories oranising my pictures organised as I
> want them.  It's quite big, something like 30 thousand images which
> total something over 50Gb.
>
> I want a way to generate a web gallery with much smaller iamage files
> (e.g.  maximum image size something like 1024x1024) in a hierarchy
> with simple HTML (or whatever) to make it navigable with a web
> browser.  This is 'all on one system', not for export to the WWW, it
> will just be displayed using the apache server on the same system.
>
> I also want to be able to select just a few images and generate a
> gallery which will be possible to export to a web server.  This is for
>
> showing people a few pictures by sending them a link in an E-Mail.

*snip*

> So, any ideas for a relacement?

This sounds like a job for a bash shell script! Alas I'm not a very good
bash coder (someone else can help?), but it sounds like you would want
to do this:

1. Generate a list of files in a directory (possibly including all
subdirectories)
2. If images are > a certain image size, make a copy and scale the copy
down to < 1024x1024 in resolution
3. Generate HTML code that displays the desired images.

-Matt