Entry 60 error, software updater failed; can't find file /etc/apt/sources.list

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun Aug 5 17:33:54 UTC 2018

On Sunday 05 August 2018 13:02:22 Colin Law wrote:

> On 5 August 2018 at 17:26, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 August 2018 08:29:19 Colin Law wrote:

> > > I trust you submitted a bug report.
> >
> > Should have been a ?, yes, but it wasn't printable, I was plenty
> > upset at the time and gave it a piece of my mind. Never got a reply
> > or any other indication it was actually filed, and haven't checked.
> > Once I am done with a product, I'm done. But that doesn't mean I
> > won't attempt to advise other users of my experience.
> >
> > In the case of the last file it trashed, it took about a week to
> > rewrite it for satisfactory operation of a small metal lathe I had
> > converted to be run by linuxcnc.  A week I spent entirely too much
> > time on, occasionally referencing a previous but out of date
> > printout and discussing with myself, the authors family tree. I now
> > kill a tree everytime I make a mod to those files just in case.
>
> I can't help thinking that if this were a general problem with gedit
> then others would have noted it.
> You could put such files under git control and then commit them every
> time you make a significant change.  That is how I generally manage
> things. With a remote repo on a remote server there is automatically
> an offsite backup and an audit trail.
>
> Colin

I have never considered such a thing. If my nc_files directory was a
manageable size, maybe, but several hundred 50 to 200000 LOC files would
not be entirely practical, I will occasionally cross-copy from machine
to machine then modify the copy to reflect the abilities of the the new
home machine, without renaming it, so I don't see how practical that
might be in the long view. All this is included in the nightly amanda
backup of course, but recovery is rarely done on a per file basis, plus
amanda records the src device and won't gracefully allow recovery to a
different device. Maybe I should do an rsync to a local backup tree on
the same spindle? All these machines have plenty of space to do that.
Even those I have recently installed smaller SSD's into. Far less power
and up to 5x faster than spinning rust drives.  Hindsight, always 20-5.
Round tuit's are in short supply though, I'm going to have to make more
if I ever find a decent, free to use pattern. So far, everything I've
found is also copyrighted. Darn it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)